Every year thousands of men and women across America start a home based business by joining a firm like Tupperware, Amway, or a cosmetic company hoping to make money for new car, a vacation, or some new clothes. They sell a little merchandise to a few relatives and close friends. Then they are through. They quit before they give themselves a chance to learn the basics of success in business. "I am simply not a born business-person!" they often say.
No one is born a business-person, any more than one is born a doctor or born a lawyer. To be successful in any profession you must learn not only the basic techniques, but also how to apply those techniques. Success on the Internet, makes use of all the abilities one is born with, plus all those acquired through education and experience.
If you are looking for a career opportunity or "extra income" to help with the family budget, Internet marketing offers you dream-fulfilling possibilities. However, you must give yourself time to learn the techniques of Internet marketing. Ask yourself. "How long does a doctor study, to become a doctor? A lawyer to become a lawyer?"
There is an old adage which says "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
The rewards of owning your own home based business are many:
1. You can be your own boss.
2. You can set your own hours.
3. You can own your own businesses with little or no investment.
4. You can pay yourself more than any boss would ever pay you.
5. You can give yourself regular raises as your business grows.
It is only fair to tell you that there are failures, too. There are people who will not work for themselves. When working for a boss, they rise early, are well-groomed, and get to the office on time. However, when they are their own boss, they are still in a bathrobe, drinking one more cups of coffee at 11:00 A.M.
If you can be your own boss and discipline yourself to do what has to be done when it has to be done, Internet marketing offers a most unusual earning opportunity.
THE TEN STEPS
Here are ten steps that will assure your success:
1. Be A Goal Setter. What do you want to accomplish? Do you want to save for college education for your children? A new car? A new home? A better life? You can have whatever you want, but you must want it enough to do the things that have to be done to get it.
Whatever your goal, write it down and set a target date for reaching it. Divide the time period into blocks of achievement that are reachable. Work consistently toward accomplishing each day, each week, each month what you set out to do. Goal-setting is a must in every area of life. Little is ever accomplished without definite goals.
2. Be Organized. Each evening list all the things you want to get done the following day. That gives you an organized approach to each day. As each task is finished, mark it off your list. It is amazing how much gets done when one works with a "things-to-do" list.
Also, have a notebook, hand held palm device or contact software listing appointments, potential clients, repeat clients, and referrals, and keep it up to date at all times. You will be adding to it constantly.
3. Be Enthusiastic. Enthusiasm is the high-octane "fuel" that businesses run on. Enthusiasm generates its own energy. Energy and good health are synonymous with busy, happy people, people who are achieving.
4. Recognize That The Magic Word In Business Is "Ask". In Internet marketing you don't have to wait for business to come to you. You create your own business by asking for it. Ask for business, then you will close sales. Ask for referrals, then you always have a full list of potential clients. Be quietly, yet firmly aggressive.
5. Expect No's. Realize that "no's" are not personal. In business, as perhaps nowhere else, the law of averages works. Every "no" gets you closer to a "yes". Keep track of your ratio. It will help improve your techniques. Are you getting ten "no's" to one "yes"? Is your ratio five to one? Remember, the "yes's" are your income.
Also remember that "no" does not necessarily mean "no." Often a "no" is simply a stall for more time to think. It may be a request for more information about your product or your service. What your client is actually buying is assurance. Assure here by your helpful attitude and your complete honesty, that you want what is best for her. She will most likely respect you and do business with you.
6. Schedule Time Wisely. A schedule is the road map by which good businesses travel. It takes the frustration out of the day. It assures that the necessary things get done and get done on time. Plan your work then work your plan.
7. Be Positive In Your Attitude. Success in business, as in all areas of life is 90 percent attitude and 10 percent aptitude. All of us must work at developing habits of constructive thinking. Be proud to be in your own business. Small businesses make the wheels of our economy turn.
8. Have An Office Area. Internet marketers work from their own homes, but it is essential to have a place where you can work in an organized and efficient manner. An office plus a strict working schedule gives you dignity. Both are absolutely essential for efficient operation and accurate record keeping, so important to the success of any business.
9. Be Involved. Both in on line communities and off line in your local community. Know what's going on and what's current in your field. Be a part of what's going on and network with other's in your field.
10. Learn To Handle Money Intelligently. A regular nine-to-five job usually means a paycheck at the end of the second week. In your own business you will handle money constantly. Internet marketing is instant income and constant income. Therefore, it is absolutely necessary to become an efficient money manager.
Deposit every penny collected from clients into a checking account set up especially for its business. Since bank statements show an exact record of all monies collected, and business expenses can be verified by canceled checks, record keeping becomes simple and accurate. Everything except a few "petty cash" transactions can be directly taken from bank statements.
Money saved regularly and put at interest, soon develops a second income in addition to earned income. A long-term goal, which is realistic, is to be able to live in retirement off the interest earned on savings.
Would financial security mean a lot to you? If so, ask yourself these questions:
Am I honest?... Do I really like people?... Am I willing to learn?... Am I willing to work?... Am I capable of being my own boss?
If your answers are yes, find a good product for the Internet market, one that you like, one that fills the need of a lot of people, and go to work for yourself! You can turn dreams into reality.
About the Author ---- Jim Capobianco, the author of "10 Steps to Your Own Home-Based Business", has been self-employed for over 25 years, both on and off line. At his web site, Cap-Tech.com and in his newsletter, The Cap-Tech Times, he shares his experience and expertise when it comes to owning your own business. Come pay a visit at: http://www.cap-tech.com